Saturday 8 June 2013

Ultra-Sonicus Ad Infinitum

"Beep beep!"   What's that you say?  You don't understand the title of this post?  We'll get to that in a few minutes, but first, it's F1 Weekend here in Montreal where everyday life seems to get taken over by the almost cartoon spectacle of the fast cars racing around the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.  I don't have any Montreal Grand Prix photographs or stories to share for you other than the fact that the roar of the motors is a familiar tune to me as it is forever associated with the end of the school year in my mind.  However, I think we can agree that this 1971 Road Runner takes care of both the cartoon and fast car aspects of the week-end.  This is another photograph taken from one of my visits to what used to be the annual Saint-Lambert Classic Car Show.  Much like my shot of the 1967 AMC Rambler.  As I mentioned in that post, rather than taking photographs of the whole car, which is very difficult in a crowd, I tend to zone in on specific parts of the car.  In this case, the rather iconic Road Runner logo.  The shot I took was of the front hood of the car.  It was taken at f/4, 1/500sec, ISO 100 at 24mm and then cropped horizontally at 6" x 12".  I also did a little playing around with the contrast and gave a it little shot of life in Levels.  It's a still photograph, but I personally get a feeling of speed from looking at it.  Perhaps it's the Road Runner character, or the waving lines of electrical wires reflected on the hood of the car.  It's true that a photo of the entire car would be nice, but much like my photo of the Rambler, I actually find these cropped shots to be more interesting.  Speaking of interesting, I still haven't explained the title of this post.  I always try to find an entertaining (to me anyway) title for my posts, and for this one I decided to watch some old Road Runner cartoons.  Some of the cartoons would begin with little introductions of the Road Runner with a made up Latin name in brackets underneath.  The title of this post is one of the names used to describe the cartoon Road Runner.  Some close runners-up for the title were Burn-Em Upus Asphaltus and Velocitus Incalcubli.  See, now when my lovely assistant gets home and I tell her I spent my day watching Road Runner cartoons, I'll also be able to say that I had a good reason for doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment