Sunday 19 May 2013

Did You Hear About The Midnight Rambler

This is the weekend where I would usually be walking around Elm Street in Saint-Lambert looking at a bunch of old classic cars.  It's what I've done for the last three years and what I had planned to do this year as well, but for some reason the classic car exhibition isn't taking place this year.  My knowledge of cars is pretty much limited to sitting behind the wheel and driving, but the old models lend themselves very well to being photographed.  Which brings us to the main problem when trying to photograph old cars at these exhibitions.  The cars generally have cardboard signs on them explaining the history of the car and are often surrounded by people standing around and looking.  I'm not the kind of person to shoo people away from a car I want to photograph, especially since I'm seriously outnumbered in such situations.  What I try to do instead, is to try and single out certain features of the cars and photograph those instead.  Such is the case with this 1967 AMC Rambler.  I really liked the lines of the front grill and how they led to the headlight.  Everything was very symmetric and I thought it would make a nice photograph.  I took the photograph at f/4, 1/400sec, ISO 100 at 51mm.  I then cropped the image to 12" by 6".  I enjoy taking photographs of the little details of these cars and I have lots of them.  It's a safe bet to say that you'll be seeing more of these over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment